PEPPOL is also about linking isolated islands of e-business communities into one where everyone can connect with anyone.
PEPPOL Technical Infrastructure
SML (Service Metadata Locator)
- A DNS that returns the adress to the SMP that holds the metadata of a PEPPOL receiver. The SML is the only centrally operated component in the PEPPOL transport infrastructure. It is managed by OpenPEPPOL and operates out of Brussels by DG/DIGIT.
SMP (Service Metadata Publisher)
- Publishes metadata about a PEPPOL receiver and which Access Point is used to receive a certain document type.
AP (Access Point)
- connects with other PEPPOL Access Points to securely exchange files.
- Transactions between Access Points are secure: They are authenticated, integrity checked and encrypted.
- The sending PEPPOL Access Point (corner 2) vouches for the identity of the sender (C1).
- A receiving PEPPOL Access Point (C3) is not allowed to reject a file from a sending Access Point (C2) if the receiver (C4) is registered in an SMP (Service Metadata Publisher).
- Learn more about PEPPOL in the Frequently Asked Questions section.